Monday, June 15, 2009

Mr. Sylvester Williamson

“Do You Have Any Homework, Dad?” – Sylvester’s 9 year-old son

I saw the flyer on the ground in Getty Square and thought that this might be the right program for me. I thought, “what am I going to lose?” I can’t lose too much more than I already have. I called Miss Dukes for what felt like 1,000 times, but we played phone tag. She finally caught up with me at 5:30 on a Sunday night. I had to hurry up and test, get my paperwork together, and jump into the program. She said that she could see I was hungry and persistent. She’s right. The Yonkers Green Connection program is different from other programs because everyone has a reason to learn: to get a job.

If I went into the field right now I’d know how to do the job because of two reasons: the teacher did an excellent job, and we all helped each other – these guys are no joke – they are disciplined. On the bus rides from BOCES back to Yonkers we would elaborate on the coursework, tutor each other, read the materials, and study.

My son watches me in this program and I am a positive role model for him. He’s on the strait and narrow, and you can thank his mom for that. This program has changed my relationships. I am definitely more positive, and also, I can fix stuff around the house! Even my son knows I’m going to accomplish the goals I set for myself. He says he can’t wait for Christmas this year. My success in this program demonstrates that I am committed to making positive changes in my life.

Everything will come in its time. I’m pretty sure that all I have to do is keep trying, keep my hopes up, and take it one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment